Monday, April 25, 2011

Touching Base

It's been a while since my last arm update. I've been going to physiotherapy sessions regularly. The frequency went to twice a week, then just once a week. The sessions were mostly the same, focusing on strength and improving my flexion since extension was basically full. It really hurt to get my arm to flex completely, but after a month, I can actually touch my shoulder with my fingers (with some effort). The first time I did it without using my other arm to push it down, I was quite elated. Since then I've been gradually improving with the help of therapy.

Yesterday, I went for my followup visit with the doctor. First I had another therapy session. It was quite effective and my arm felt looser than it's been in weeks. Then I got to see the doctor. He didn't spend much time with me after looking over the case notes. He checked my arm and happily pronounced that I had full range of motion and extolled the virtues of physiotherapy, which I have to agree with. I wouldn't have to see him any more and I could either stop or continue physiotherapy as I wished or at the advice of the therapist. The therapist in turn said that I could stop if I wanted to, but it would be better if I continued a little longer. I still feel that further sessions would do me good (it still takes quite an effort to flex fully and my muscles quiver), so I set an appointment for two weeks later since I wouldn't be around next week. They gave me one of the rubber tubes they used for me to exercise by myself.

It's been a long and painful journey to get to this point and while I'm not as good as new, I'm basically out of the woods and my way back home. And that's a pretty darn good feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment