Sunday, May 26, 2013

Mushroom soup

Today, I attempted to make mushroom soup from scratch... and succeeded!

I've been meaning to try home-made mushroom soup for some time and after getting a recipe from a friend of mine, I gave it a try. I used Swiss button mushrooms (brown and white), one portobello mushroom, and some oyster mushrooms. Being blender-deprived, I chopped up the Swiss and portobello mushrooms as fine as I could instead of slicing them and shredded the oyster mushrooms.




One large red onion and five small cloves of garlic joined the fray.



After sautéing the mushrooms with the garlic and onion in butter, I added water and simmered....



... and simmered...



... and it looked nothing like soup. Some milk however, instantly turned it into soupy goodness :)



I added two tablespoons of cornflour in water mixture for thickening and simmered some more to thicken it. I also made some garlic bread from a French baguette I bought from Délifrance and a garlic butter spread.


The soup was delicious! It was a lot better than canned soup and less creamy since I used regular milk. I'm calling this one a success :)

Also, doesn't that garlic bread look great?



No comments:

Post a Comment