Monday, September 2, 2013

BBQ

I've always thought of barbecuing as more of a Western, or perhaps more specifically American, pastime. I always thought it was weird to make people wait while the food is being cooked - or sometimes burnt - right in front of them while being in the Great Outdoors™, or backyard as the case may be, subjecting themselves to the ravages of mosquitoes, flies, and other assorted delights of the insect world. I certainly never thought that I would hosting a barbecue....

It all started when my boss suggested over lunch that we have a barbecue party. Living in a condominium, I had access to a barbecue pit and much to my chagrin, I was to be the host of this little get-together. I scoffed, and assumed it to be a joke. Eventually, the founder of the feast himself elected not to attend.

But the idea refused to die.

Preparations were made, menus were proposed, and a date was set. Still dubious, I nevertheless enquired and eventually booked the pit for the evening of the 24th of August, 2013. Someone volunteered to make most of the food (hereafter known as The Cook) and others were to bring drinks, ice, side dishes, and barbecue supplies. On the Friday before the day, I even went shopping after work to buy the meats and other ingredients with The Cook after everyone else bailed on us.

On Saturday morning, I collected some tables and chairs from the condo Management Office and set up at the barbecue area. I then proceeded to visit the local mall for some last minute salads and other items. The Cook arrived early, followed by the others who arrived late in typical Malaysian fashion, some even getting lost along the way. All in, there were 10 adults and one child in attendance.

Once everyone arrived, the party began.

The cook prepared a nice selection of meat (mostly pork):





Someone brought some chicken nuggets and mashed potatoes.


Despite initial plans to make the guys do the grilling while The Cook relaxed by the pool, she and the other girls ended up doing all the cooking anyway.





The food was pretty good :)

There was actual hamburgers:


Roast pork with honey to cut the saltiness:


Even marinated chicken wings:


And in an odd turn, due to the unpopularity of the salad, roasted cherry tomatoes:



The event went on from evening to night. Despite my initial misgivings, I rather enjoyed myself and it was a nice bonding experience. I think everyone had a fairly good time, so I'm calling this one a success ;)

Guys, if you're reading this, thanks for coming and for all your help in making my first ever party a fun one. Good food, and good friends; you can't ask for much more in life :)



1 comment: