Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Jason-that-was-Broken has been re-forged

This post is a followup to my last post about my broken arm.

After I returned to KL, I started taking cabs to work in the mornings and back home in the evenings. This was fraught with difficulty as my semi-regular cab driver was not always available. More than once, I had to rely on the charity of my colleague to drive me home as cabs drivers did not want to enter my traffic-infested area at peak hours.

On the work front, doing my job with one good hand (my right arm was still in the sling) was quite difficult as typing with only my left hand was slow and error-prone. Still, I think I was still fairly effective all things considered.

My arm grew stronger day by day, feeling more and more like my arm and not some useless limb that refused to obey my commands. I still couldn't straighten or bend it much although the range of motion has grown over two weeks. I was doing exercises but still wore the sling though for support as I did not know if the fracture had healed. That changed yesterday when I went to see another orthopaedic surgeon at Pantai Medical Centre for a consult and x-ray.

Good news: I'm no longer broken.
Bad news: My elbow joint is really stiff and I need aggressive physiotherapy to get the motion back.

So they prescribed three physiotherapy sessions a week for the next two weeks and we'd see how I progressed from there. I had a short 'introductory' session yesterday. Physiotherapy doesn't seem like any medical treatment I've seen. The place was like a workshop and was filled with tools. They started by manipulating my arm to find my range of painless motion. It hurt. Then they applied a hot compress for a while. Next came some exercising coupled with electrical stimulation to my biceps and triceps. My wrist and upper arm were suspended by rubber tubes and I had to extend and retract my arm as far as I could without pain. It was tiring but I did feel better.

Arm SlingsThe doctor says I shouldn't wear the arm sling any more. I'm a little sorry to see it go. It's been so supportive over the last few weeks :) Bye bye arm slings... thanks for the support!

I'm glad I'm unbroken. Now if only I could get untwisted, I'd be normal again.

No comments:

Post a Comment