Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Physiotherapy, Part 1

Today I had my first real torture physiotherapy session (after the first 'introductory' session), I left work after lunch to undergo the first of three sessions this week. I got there early, so I started my session half an hour earlier than scheduled. They started with the heat pack for like 15 minutes. This was followed by some minor manipulation and massage by the therapist. This did not hurt all that much. Then came the electrical stimulation. They attached four electrolyte-soaked sponges to strategic muscle sites and pumped in current from 48mA to 62mA over 20 minutes. I was mildly fascinated by the involuntary wrist and finger contractions caused by the higher currents.

Then the real fun began.

The therapist (a big guy who wouldn't look out of place in a rugby team) gradually exercised my arm, focusing on improving the extension movement. It hurt like heck. The scary part is that the therapist said this was a 'gentle' exercise. Thankfully, it wasn't very long.

At the end of it, my arm extension had improved by about 10-15 degrees (I'd say my arm can extend to around 150 degrees now). Contraction didn't improve much, but I guess that's not bad for one session. Until Thursday then...

No comments:

Post a Comment